November 21-25, 2023
The Mayor’s Office of La Herradura of the City Council of Almuñécar (Granada) holds the «XXXVII International Classical Guitar Contest “Andrés Segovia”» in La Herradura, from Tuesday 21th to Saturday 25th November 2023.
The Contest aims to spread the guitar and promote young performers, having as a reference the great master Andrés Segovia (1893-1987), adopted son of Almuñécar and La Herradura.
Guitarists of any nationality may participate in the XXXVIII “Andrés Segovia” International Classical Guitar Contest, provided they have not reached the age of 35 on the date of the Contest, nor have they obtained the first prize in previous calls.
To formalize the registration it will be necessary that, until November 10th, 2023 (Spanish time zone), applicants fill out the form that can be found at the following web address:
Likewise, applicants must attach the following files:
– D.N.I., passport or other official document accrediting identity and residence in PDF format.
– Curriculum vitae according to the template available on the web, both in English and Spanish.
– Recent photograph in JPG format, with a minimum resolution of 200 dpi.
– List of repertoire the applicant will play in the different rounds.
Applicants are responsible for the veracity of all the documentation provided, any irregularity will be cause for exclusion.
The contestants who pass the First Round, will be provided free accommodation by the Mayor’s Office of La Herradura of the Almuñécar City Council in the establishment determined by the organization, specifically from Thursday, November 23th until the end of the Contest.
In addition, the contestants who are awarded must provide, within 10 days from the awarding of the prize, a certificate of bank ownership and, in the case of non-residents in Spanish territory, also a certificate of fiscal residence.
For any query, applicants may contact:
SECRETARÍA TÉCNICA DEL CERTAMEN “ANDRÉS SEGOVIA”
Oficinas Municipales de La Herradura
Avenida Prieto Moreno, s/n. Centro Cívico, 2ª planta.
18697 La Herradura (Granada). ESPAÑA
Tfno.: +34 958 64 04 25
The XXXVIII “Andrés Segovia” International Classical Guitar Contest will consist of two qualifying rounds and one final, which will be public. On November 21th, 2023, at 1:00 p.m., the public draw will be held at the La Herradura Civic Center to determine participants performance order in all the rounds.
Interpretations in all rounds must be done from memory.
First Qualifying Round
Contestants will perform a free-choice repertoire, comprising works (or movements) of various styles and not exceeding 15 minutes.
After this First Round, the Jury, after deliberating, will make public the list of contestants who will go on to the next round.
Second Qualifying Round
The selected contestants will perform a free-choice repertoire, which includes works (or movements) of various styles and does not exceed 20 minutes, different from the one performed in the previous round. In addition, they must perform the work 8 Diferencias de Españoleta, by Francisco Guerau. (It is highly recommended to use the original source of the Harmonic Poem, Madrid, 1694, fols. 42-45).
After this Second Round, the Jury, after deliberating, will make public the list of contestants who will go on to the Final Round.
The finalists will perform the Concert for Guitar and Orchestra in D major, Op. 99 by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, accompanied by the Málaga Philharmonic Orchestra.
The contestants who are winners must collect the Prizes personally, participating in the closing acts of the Contest.
– First Prize “Andrés Segovia” endowed with €10,000 and a concert guitar model “Maestro” special edition “Andrés Segovia”, by the luthier of La Herradura Stephen Hill, in addition to a recital and a masterclass at the Cervantes Institute in Munich with the collaboration of the University of Music and Performing Arts of Munich, and another recital during the year 2024 endowed with €1,000 sponsored by the Alhambra Guitars Foundation.
– Second Prize “Andrés Segovia”, endowed with €4,000 and a Martínez-Lázaro concert guitar model “Double top” special edition “Andrés Segovia” by Granada-born luthiers Francisco Lázaro and Javier Martínez, in addition to a recital at the International Music Festival. Music and Dance “Ciudad de Úbeda” in its 2024 edition.
– Third Prize “Andrés Segovia”, endowed with €2,000 and a recital at the Madrid International Guitar Festival in its 2024 edition.
– “Diego Martínez” Prize, endowed with a travel grant of up to €1,000 to offer a recital at the 2024 edition of the “Noches del Castillo” Festival in La Herradura, to the guitarist best valued by the audience in the Final Test.
– “Leo Brouwer” Prize, endowed with €700, for the best interpretation of the obligatory work.
– “Fundación Hispania Música – Concerto Málaga” award, consisting of a concert in the Foundation’s 2023/24 season, for the best interpretation of a Spanish musical work. – “Association of Friends of La Herradura” Prize, endowed with €300, as a stimulus to the youngest guitarist who passes the First Test.
The Jury will be chosen by the organizing institution of the Contest, which will be made up of a President, a Secretary and between three and six members, all of them professionals of recognized prestige in the world of music. The Jury may leave any of the Prizes void and its decision will be final.
The “Andrés Segovia” International Classical Guitar Contest reserves the ownership of the rights to all performances in it and their possible recording or public broadcast.
The organization is not responsible for possible damages caused or suffered by the contestants due to the celebration of the Contest.
Registration in the Contest implies acceptance of all its Regulations.